The stonework of Epic Stone Works is shaped to your custom design. It is hand crafted & ready to install with minimal waste. Epic Stone Works is revolutionizing the world’s oldest building craft – stonework. With a blend of both tradition & technology, Epic Stone Works offers the most beautiful hand crafted stonework at the lowest prices.
Exceptional stonework has always been a defining architectural element on many of the world’s most admired buildings and residences. From the ancient Doric columns of the Roman Empire to the more Corinthian columns of The White House, Epic Stone Works has the design know how & the technical expertise necessary to bring your custom stonework in time & under budget.
Stonework is the craft of shaping rough pieces of rock into accurate geometrical shapes, mostly simple, but some of considerable complexity, and then arranging the resulting stones, often together with mortar to form structures.
- Quarrymen split veins, or sheets of rock, and extract the resulting blocks of stone from the ground.
- Sawyers cut these rough blocks into cubes, to required size with diamond-tipped saws.
- Banker masons are workshop based, and specialize in carving stones into intricate geometrical shapes required by a building's design. They can produce anything from stones with simple chamfers to tracery windows, detailed moldings and the more classical architectural building masonry. When working a stone from a sawn block, the mason ensures that the stone is bedded in the right way, so the finished work sits in the building in the same orientation as it was formed on the ground. The basic tools, methods and skills of the banker mason have existed as a trade for thousands of years.
- Carvers cross the line from craft to art, and use their artistic ability to carve stone into foliage, figures, animals or abstract designs.
- Fixer masons specialize in the fixing of stones onto buildings, using lifting tackle, and traditional lime mortars and grouts. Sometimes modern cements, mastics and epoxy resins are used, usually on specialist applications such as stone cladding. Metal fixings, from simple dowels and cramps to specialized single application fixings, are also used. The precise tolerances necessary make this a highly skilled job.
Hands-on stonework skill is complemented by intimate knowledge of each stone type, its application and best uses, and how to work and fix each stone in place. The mason may be skilled and competent to carry out one or all of the various branches of stone work. In some areas the trend is towards specialization, in other areas towards adaptability.
For additional information on our stonework & craftsmanship please fill out the contact form below.